Puerto Vallarta's Coat of Arms
Puerto Vallarta's Coat of Arms was ordered by the Honorable City Hall back in 1968 with the purpose of reaching the category of City. It was designed by the artist José Manuel Martínez Peña, and was officially adopted on May 31st of that year.
The Coat of Arms of Puerto Vallarta is shaped by four symmetrical barracks that represent the history of our tourist destination and its financial and social course.
- In the upper left corner, there is a modest house by these ashore under the shade of a palmtree.
- In the lower left corner, there is an open book with inscriptions in its pages.
- In the upper right corner, there is a sailfish coming out of the sea, with the Banderas Bay and the Archs in the back.
- In the lower right corner, there are holding hands greeting in a friendly gesture.
The Code of Arms is framed by an anchor hanging from a wire.
The austere construction represents the origins of the town. It is in honor to the first settlers. Puerto Vallarta was founded on December 12th of 1851 by Guadalupe Sánchez, who baptized the new town as “Las Peñas de Santa María de Guadalupe”.
Currently, the main financial activity of our town is the tourist industry, which is represented by a sailfish (a very popular species in the beautiful Banderas Bay) and the Archs (a swimming or scuba diving spot, identified as one of the main tourist attractions in Vallarta).
The open book represents the General Constitution of the Mexican Republic, paying homage to Ignacio Luis Vallarta, who gave name to Puerto Vallarta on May 31st of 1918.
The hands represent the thought and act of the residents of the town who always give a hand with friendliness and sincerity to all of its visitors.
The anchor framing the code symbolizes that the city, in a poetical way, is the daughter of the sea.
Read more about Puerto Vallarta