Puerto Vallarta, a true paradise with its cultural and artistic ambiance, is home to artists and lovers of culture, from all over the world, inspired by the blend of romance and beauty which drew them in the first place and whose attraction keeps them here. The vibrant artistic scene is reflected in the large number of galleries, public sculptures and cultural festivals which the city offers all year long.
Dozens of art galleries have established residence in the historic and charming Romantic Zone, with painting, photography, sculpture, stained glass, ceramics and jewelry exhibits created by some of the best national and international artists.
More than 15 sculptures by some of the most famous Mexican artists, among them Ramiz Barquet, Sergio Bustamante and Alejandro Colunga, create an impressive art space all along the Malecon. Some of the sculptures represent the life of important historic personalities, others are a reflection of culture and life in Puerto Vallarta; they offer the ideal backdrop for taking unforgettable pictures.
Painter Manuel Lepe (1936-1984), born in Puerto Vallarta and internationally known, mainly created landscapes in and around the city in his Naif style. Lepe, icon of the arts in Puerto Vallarta, captured the light, simplicity and beauty of the city before it became a popular tourist center. His art can be found all over town in many of the galleries and in the beautiful mural in City Hall.
The Cuale Cultural Center is a lively music and art location which offers music, voice, painting, sculpture, theater and photography classes to the public.
The Los Mangos Library also offers dance, performing arts, music, reading and language workshops.
The Xiutla Ballet, which originated in Puerto Vallarta, includes more than 300 children and young people in its very touching dances, performed locally and internationally. Their free performances are every Friday at 7:30 p.m. at the Lazaro Cardenas Plaza by Olas Altas, and on Sundays at 8 p.m. at “Los Arcos” on the Malecon.
Festivals and cultural events in Puerto Vallarta
Many Festivals and Events of all kinds are held every year in Puerto Vllarta, these are some of them:
- Art Walk (Every Wednesday October to May)
- Southside Shuffle (Every other Friday from November to April)
- National Charro Championship (February and March)
- Wine Fest (March)
- Vallarta Bird Festival (March)
- Athletic Half Marathon and Race (March)
- International Encounter of Poets and the Arts 'Letras en la Mar' (April)
- Restaurant Week (May)
- Vallarta Cup (May)
- International Altruism Festival (May)
- The Bougainvillea Festival (May)
- Independence Day Celebrations (September)
- Day of the Dead Activities (1st and 2nd of November)
- International Fishing Tournament (November)
- International Gourmet Festival (November)
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Processions (December)
- End of the Year Festivities (December)