December 08, 2023
Celebrating New Year's Eve in Puerto Vallarta is one of the most anticipated events of the holiday season. But beyond the traditional festivities in El Centro and on the Malecon boardwalk, the “Friendliest City in the World” offers a wide variety of fun and entertainment options for all travelers.
Puerto Vallarta still has a lot to offer in the winter—natural wonders like humpback whale watching, great sporting events, and avant-garde and diverse music festivals, in addition to great weather for visiting the best beaches, tours and outdoor adventures.
So pack your bags and book your favorite oceanfront hotel, because below are 5 Puerto Vallarta events you can't miss this upcoming winter season.
· When: December 8, 2023 through March 23, 2024
· Where: Banderas Bay
· Why to Go: A once-in-a-lifetime experience is an offshore encounter with humpback whales. Each winter, the giant whales make their way from the frigid poles to the warm waters surrounding Banderas Bay. Many of them choose Puerto Vallarta's waters to become mothers and begin guiding their calves through the complexities of underwater life. Some others come to enjoy the elaborate courtship and mating rituals of the males. For four months, the Mexican Pacific becomes fertile territory for whale mothers and their calves. Are you in the mood for a whale watching tour in their natural habitat? Here are four local companies we recommend for your next whale watching tour in Puerto Vallarta.
· What We Like: The chance to hear the Humpback Whales "singing"—those mesmerizing sounds they usually make in chorus. Boats for whale watching tours in Puerto Vallarta usually have special equipment that will allow you to hear the whales communicate with each other.
· More Information at: Whale watching in Puerto Vallarta.
· When: December 31
· Where: The Malecon boardwalk and the Downtown area
· Why to Go: The Malecon boardwalk of Puerto Vallarta is, without a doubt, THE place to go to celebrate with your family or friends and to receive all the good vibes of the new cycle that is beginning. The party hits the streets and overflows the traditional Malecon on the night of December 31st. You'll find live music, a festive and safe atmosphere and midnight fireworks that usually last into the first minutes of January 1st.
· What We Like: New Year's Eve celebrations in Puerto Vallarta are not limited to El Centro. On the other side of the Cuale River, the party continues at hotels, restaurants, bars, nightclubs and rooftops in the Romantic Zone. If you want to avoid the crowds, try the hotels, restaurants and nightclubs in Marina Vallarta, Hotel Zone and the Versalles area.
· More Information: See our Events guide for more information on the best New Year's Eve parties in Puerto Vallarta.
· When: January 31 to February 4, 2024
· Where: Hacienda Serena Ranch
· Why to Go: This prestigious tournament kicks off the annual season of Charro championships in Puerto Vallarta and the surrounding area. Now in its twelfth consecutive year, the tournament is expected to draw 36 of the best Charro teams and 28 of the most competitive Charro skirmishers from Mexico and the United States. The Hacienda Serena Ranch, located just 30 minutes from Puerto Vallarta, offers a world-class infrastructure for the practice and enjoyment of Mexico's national sport. The Hacienda Serena International Charro Grand Prix is also one of the few Charro tournaments in Mexico offering real-time bilingual commentary to spectators.
· What We Like: The hospitality of Hacienda Serena's Charro hosts and the opportunity to witness exciting sports contests. Live music enlivens all the charreadas. Throughout the event, delicious Mexican antojitos and traditional drinks are also available. As an added bonus, the closing ceremony of the championship will feature the traditional raffle of a brand-new car among the spectators.
· More Information: Visit Hacienda Serena on Facebook.
· When: February 8–12, 2024
· Where: Beaches South of Puerto Vallarta
· Why to Go: Music, diversity and the paradisiacal beaches south of Puerto Vallarta. Somos is Mexico's most inclusive music festival. For the second year in a row, it returns to Puerto Vallarta with a lineup that presents the latest trends in electronic music, performance and queer art. Don't miss DJ sets and live performances by Basho, Kodemul, Vicky Powell, Bruja Prieta, Villaseñor, The Carry Nation and other acts. The festival gives the opportunity to apply for a Somos Scholarship Fund, that will give you access to more affordable prices.
· What We Like: The music and the overall atmosphere of inclusion and community. But most of all, the spectacular Somos Festival locations. All of the venues, located in the Boca de Tomatlán area south of Puerto Vallarta, have swimming pools or fantastic swimmable beaches.
· More Information: For the lineup, venues and ticket sales of the 2024 edition, visit Somos Festival on Instagram.
· When: February 22–25, 2024
· Where: Vidanta Vallarta
· Why to Go: The México Open at Vidanta is one of the most important golf tournaments on the PGA TOUR and Latin America's premier sporting and social event. Along with the world's top golfers—including current defending champion Tony Finau, you will find new ways to enjoy golf, Mexican culture and cuisine. The 2024 Mexico Open at Vidanta golf tournament will be a unique experience for both the participating athletes and the spectators. It will take place in one of the most exclusive locations in all of Mexico: Vidanta Vallarta.
· What We Like: Get a front row seat to all the action on the PGA TOUR and walk the 18 holes with the golf stars as they play their rounds. VIP Hospitality gives you the opportunity to enjoy the Mexico Open at Vidanta from the VIP Suites on the 18th hole. You will also have access to an international bar and an unparalleled culinary experience.
· More Information at: Mexico Open at Vidanta.
These five events only scratch the surface of all Puerto Vallarta has to offer during the winter season.
The Friendliest City in the World has something for everyone. Whether you consider yourself a sports enthusiast, a party monster or a music lover. So mark your calendars. This winter, immerse yourself in the magic of #Puerto Vallarta.
This year, more than 350 processions are included in the program of the Fiestas Guadalupanas of Puerto Vallarta Read more
Puerto Vallarta has become a reference in recognition of the destination's contributions and commitment to gender-diverse people Read more
The Travvy Awards honor the most important destinations and travel suppliers, selected by their main users and connoisseurs: travel agents Read more